Pages

Thursday 4 July 2013

Ready to Rock - Festival Style Guide - Basics.

Hi!!!

It's now well and truly festival season, with Glasto (Glastonbury) finished and all packed up! I love festival season! I love going to festivals; the fun of the experience, being surrounded by good music, good people, and a relaxed vibe. I just love them. Now, I know this will be no use to people who are going to Glasto - cos you'll be home now recuperating, although to be honest, if you've gone to Glasto this year - I AM JEALOUS! You got to see the Arctic Monkeys, Mumford and Sons and the Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones! You lucky parsnip!!! I'm moving away from my point... As I was saying - it won't be any use to Glasto go-ers, but those going to any other festivals, big or small, it might help you. It can be difficult to know what to pack  and so I have devised a Festival Style Guide to help. This is the first instalment of the series - Basics. Before we start this series, you need to have the basics down so that we can then just get on with enjoying ourselves. So, onwards...

SPF.

This should really be common sense to you and if it's not, I hope it will be now. I am really fair anyway - I think I'm the only person on the planet whose Collection Lasting Perfection concealer is in Fair... - and so I really need an SPF. But even if you're not fair like me, you need an SPF because you are going to be outside all day long. You will need an SPF for your face, this could come from your moisturiser, or just from a sun cream.
Make sure that you really do protect your face because the skin on your face is delicate and in 20 years time, you don't want to look in the mirror and go, "Look - look at all these wrinkles from my weekends of festivals! Oh, oh look, there's the Glasto wrinkle, there's the Latitude wrinkle, there's the V Festival wrinkle..." and so on and so forth. Please make sure you protect your face.
You'll also need an SPF for the rest of your body - we all own some form of sun cream, just use it please. We don't want to come back from our weekend of amazing music and (fingers crossed) sunshine, with bright red skin. Last year, I went to T4 On The Beach and I put sun cream on and as it didn't seem massively sunny so I didn't reapply much. I got back to the hotel at night (it was a one day festival) and my face was stinging and bright red and so were my feet - it was painful. Be aware of windburn and sunburn and please, please, please, SPF your body.
I also SPF my lips as they can get sore if they are burnt.

My moisturiser contains SPF 15. It is The Body Shop Aloe Soothing Moisture Lotion with SPF 15 (HERE), which is an amazing moisturiser (review soon). I use a lower SPF on my face because I often wear hats...
My body sun cream choice is Nivea Sun Spray Invisible Protection with SPF 30 (HERE) or on a really sunny day Nivea Sun Invisible Protection with SPF 50 (HERE).
My choice of SPF Lip Protection is Nivea Lip Care Sun Protect with SPF 30, which is Water Resistant (HERE). Beware though, it does taste a bit like sun cream.

Essential Products.

This shall be a bullet pointed list....
  • Anti Bacterial Cleansing Hand Gel - Festival toilets don't have hand washing facilities. This means that you need some means of keeping yourself germ free. It also comes in handy when you eat or just if things get a bit muddy or when you have put makeup on with your hands so that you can clean them. Try Soap and Glory Hand Maid Antibacterial Hand Cleansing Gel (HERE) - it smells yum - or maybe Carex Hand Gel Aloe Vera (HERE) or for the best hand gel since the Dawn of Time and Dinosaurs and stuff - The Body Shop Satsuma Hand Cleanse Gel (HERE) - it is the best hand gel ever; soaks in nicely, smells divine and works really well.
  • Dry Shampoo - If you go to a 2 or 3 day Festival, then you won't be able to wash your hair. I don't wash my hair everyday - I wash it every 4 or 5 days - so I don't struggle but a lot of people will and if you're in the heat all day or in the bad weather, it will wreak your hair. I like TRESemme Instant Refresh Dry Shampoo (HERE), or Batiste do a travel size Dry Shampoo called Batiste Dry Shampoo in Blush (HERE). 
  • Cleansing Wipes/Baby Wipes - Firstly, I'd like to say that I do not under any circumstances condone the use of Make-Up Wipes on an everyday basis - they are not particularly good for you. But, every now and again, you'll be OK to use them without doing too much damage. They are perfect for festivals because you can use them not only to remove your makeup (which you *need* to do), but you can use them for a really super quick refresh wash or even to wipe off your hands before/after eating. They are pretty multi use, so great for this but when you arrive home - no more wipes. You might like Nivea Daily Essentials Fragrance Free Facial Cleansing Wipes (HERE).

Travel Miniatures/Decanting Products.

Now, if you're being clever about this, you won't be trekking all the way across a field, with a tent, all your stuff and then drag huge full size bottles of everything you've ever used beauty wise. That's just silly. I know that Travel Mini's can be expensive for what they are but, they can be worth it and if you go every year then you can decant your products into the miniature sizes. Everything from Shower Gel, to Deodorant to Hairspray to Dry Shampoo and Mouthwash - Everything is there. Also, some of the essentials I've mentioned are available in miniature form and so, they might be a better choice. I've put a link (HERE) to the Travel Size page on the Superdrug website so feel free to browse. Plenty of shops do little wash bags with little pots and containers for you to decant full size products into and they can come in so handy for Festivals and then be reused for next year or weekends away. The Travel Bottle Set from Paperchase (HERE) could be a good choice.
 
Be Prepared For All Weathers.
 
 I'm off to a Festival soon and I've checked the weather - it's going to be the hottest day of the year so far and super sunny, but I'm just lucky. It could tip it down at your festival - I hope it doesn't but it might. If it is sunny, you need sun cream and hats, and if it's raining you'll need wellies and waterproof ponchos. Check the weather before you set off and pack to suit and if you're doing a full 3 days do take a bit of both - just to be on the safe side.


Alrighty then, you lovely lot - they are my festival basic picks. I promise my next post in this series will be a lot more fun but we had to get the basics out of the way, we can get on with the cool stuff. I have a festival makeup post on the way, a festival hair post on the way and a festival style post on the way too to get you kitted out for your festivals.  I hope that you enjoy this series and that it helps you in some way, shape, or form. Do leave a comment if you have anything to add. Let me know if you're going to any festivals this year and whether or not this has helped - I'd love to hear from you.
 
Have a great day!
 
GingerSnaps xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment