Pages

Friday 20 January 2017

Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do - Music - Six Songs From the 80s.

Hi!!!

The first music post of 2017 then, eh? You excited? I am. This idea came to me while listening to the first song on the list the other day. Music from the 1980s is pretty blooming great, whatever your tastes, so here are some of my favourites from the decade that brought you the Rubix Cube, great movies and big hair. Let's rock and roll.

 

Released 1985.

I love The Cure and In Between Days is one of my favourite songs of theirs. It's poetic and musically, it is their style at its best (in my opinion). The video is a bit weird, but it is The Cure so... Anyway, there's so much more to them than Friday I'm In Love so check this one out.

Tainted Love - Soft Cell.
Released 1981.

Right, before any Northern Soul fans get salty with me, I really enjoy the Soft Cell version of this song. It is iconic, it's catchy and it's synth heavy - what more could you want from 80s pop? I can't help but dance to this one when I hear it and it just begs you to sing along.

This Charming Man - The Smiths.
Released 1983.

What do you get when you add together a Johnny Marr baseline, Morissey's vocals and poetic lyrics, and approximately six billion bunches of gladioli? An amazing song. This Charming Man shows all those things at their best and it's an essential on all your playlists. 


I don't think it would be right to do a post about 80s music without including George Micheal and this is my chance to say how much I love his music and how shocked I was by his passing. Faith has been one of my favourites all my life, always makes me think of treehouses dunno why, but yeah, very catchy song, and definitely one for fans of an acoustic guitar.
 

Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds.
Released 1985.

Honestly, if this song isn't already in your head after reading it's name, then points to you. This is so catchy and definitely one you have to do the loud sort-of-singing-but-mostly-yelling type of karaoke to. An 80s essential, which any fans of The Breakfast Club know already.

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division.
Released 1980.

This song. I love this song. I don't think it's possible to dislike this song. Awesome lyrics, distinct vocals and have you heard the music? Sheer genius. I could play this on repeat for days and days, it's such a dynamic track (and a great introduction to New Wave).

I hope you enjoyed that, it was actually a lot of fun to curate this list. I might do this again- for the 80s and other decades. Thoughts?
What are your favourite songs from the 80s? Do you have anything else to say? Maybe a suggestion for future posts? Leave me a comment below and tell me.
Thanks so much for reading.

I hope you're day is rad!

GingerSnaps xxx

2 comments:

  1. remember when everyone tryed to bring rad back? those where dark times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, very dark times indeed. But I thought that it was worth it for this post, seeing as it was the 80s and all. Gingersnaps xxx

      Delete