Pages

Friday 8 July 2016

Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do! - Music - On My One by Jake Bugg Review.

Hi!!!

¡Hola! How've you been? Good, I hope. I have an album review for you today - I've only written one before, but this one will be very different from that one in terms of format and the like. I've been awaiting the release of this album since its release date was announced so I'm going to tell you my views on it.


'On My One', Jake Bugg's third studio album, was released on 17th June 2016 and is entirely written by Jake. The title comes from the first song on the album which in turn comes from a Midlands phrase (represent!) which essentially means "on my own", as I'm sure many of you know, and there is certainly a sense of loneliness running through a lot of the songs in the collection.

Jake is known for his unique vocals - I can't really think of an artist that sounds anything like him that is making music now - which really sets all of his work apart from the crowd. He is also known for his use of guitars in his songs, so definitely one for my fellow guitar fans.

 
My top five standout tracks are 'All That', which is full of beautiful raw emotion,  'Love, Hope and Misery', which is musically (and lyrically) outstanding, 'Gimme The Love', a unique rap track, 'The Love We're Hoping For', a stunning and meaningful piece, and 'Never Wanna Dance', a delicate, simple song. It's hard to choose favourites actually, but I suppose that means there is something to suit all tastes.
 
 
I know some people have mixed feelings about the rap elements of the album like 'Gimme The Love' and 'Ain't No Rhyme', but I am personally a fan. It is certainly different but it's really good to see artistic development, especially when it comes in the form of sometimes Beastie Boys esque rap.
 
The country-rock tracks are very true to their genre, which I love. 'Livin Up Country', 'Hold On You' and 'Put Out The Fire' are lively, old school tracks which are really awesome. 'On My One' is a really great old school rock ballad which I love, too.


Everyone had put a lot of pressure on this album because it's the first entirely self-written and mostly self-produced album that Jake has done, although I thought that was a bit unfair given his involvement in all of his other albums, but it's certainly an impressive start to going it alone in any case.

 
Before I give you my final words and star rating, I thought I'd let you know that an acoustic EP is available exclusively at HMV.
 
 
It costs £2.99 when bought alone and is free when purchased with the album, which is always a plus as far as I'm concerned.
 
 
The EP features three tracks - 'Gimme The Love' and 'The Love We're Hoping For' from the album, and a cover of 'Be The One' (by Dua Lipa). They are all great and are an excellent accompaniment to the album.
 
Overall, I give it five stars. I'm really impressed with all the songs and the cohesion between the collection, I like the experimental side of the album and I have found some new favourites. I think 'On My One' speaks volumes for Jake's talent and his growth as an artist and I'd recommend it to you.

Ta Dah! First album review in two years done! I hope you enjoyed it.
Did you enjoy this new style of album review? Have you listened to 'On My One'? What did you think? Do you have any album recommendations? Any other comments or suggestions for future posts? Let me know in the comments.
Thanks for reading. See you soon.

Have an epic day!

GingerSnaps xxx

2 comments:

  1. You appear to be a big Bake Jugg fan. I might even listen to some of these tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed! You definitely should give some of them a listen, as well as his other stuff. GingerSnaps xxx

      Delete