Pages

Tuesday 7 February 2017

I've Been Thinking... - What I Saw at the Cinema in January: Rogue One and La La land.

Hi!!!

I've said this a lot recently, but last year I really got back into going to the cinema. I really want to continue that this year, because I really enjoy it, and I made a good start by going twice in January. Here's my thoughts on the movies I saw last month, both of which are still running at most cinemas.

The first film I saw at the cinema in 2017 was Rogue One: A Star Wars Story which is set shortly before the events of ‘A New Hope’, ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ and reveals how the Rebellion got their hands on the designs for the Death Star with the help of former criminal Jyn Erso.
 I went with my Uncle B - we hadn't been to the cinema together in about a million years so it was lovely to spend that time together.
I love Star Wars, and this is one of my favourite films in the franchise.
I find that during most of the Star Wars films, I get bored for at least fifteen minutes or so in the middle, but that didn't happen with Rogue One. I found it engaging, entertaining and I really liked the plot and I think they have the pacing for this one spot on,
The characters were all interesting and individual and I'm really glad I went to see it. I was concerned it would take away from the actual main Star Wars films, but I think it just adds to them - its nice to see more of that universe.
When I first saw the trailer for La La Land, I very excitedly told my best friend Elf Girl about it because she loves musicals just as much as me. It follows the lives of Mia, an aspiring actress, and Sebastian, a jazz pianist, and the romance that begins between the two of them, which is threatened when they finally find success.
 I enjoyed the film a lot. I think the characters are great, I really like the songs and the score in general and I like that it features dance routines like those from old school Hollywood musicals. There are gorgeous moments in this movie.
 I wasn't keen on some elements of the cinematography -  namely the ridiculously fast, makes-your-eyes-go-out-of-focus panning - but other aspects of it I found to be really beautiful. I'm not mad about the structure - its split into seasons - and in some ways I don't think it is quite all that certain reviewers, critics and people in general say it is, but I did like it all the same and would recommend you go and see it.
There are links here and here to screening times for Rogue One and links here and here to screening times for La La Land.
I hope you enjoyed these mini reviews of two of January's biggest films.
Have you seen these movies? Do you have any comments or suggestions for future content? Please leave a comment below and I'll get back to you.
Thanks for reading, and if you go and see either of these films, I hope you enjoy them.
I hope you have an incredible day!
GingerSnaps xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment