Pages

Friday 30 August 2013

It's Showtime!!! - Theatre Review - A Chorus Line.

Hi!!!

If you read THIS post from earlier in the week, you'll know that I went to see four plays/shows in London a few weeks ago, which means theatre reviews galore for you. I'm sorry if theatre's not your thing, but it's mine, and that's what matters to me. So, sorry, I'm not sorry...

Before I begin I just want to say that it might seem like I think every show is brilliant and worth a viewing. However, this isn't the case. I would never tell you to go and see something that I didn't think was worth your time or hard earned cash. There will be times when I tell you not to go and see something , as well as times when I say you *have* to go and see something. These reviews contain my 100% honest opinion and just because something isn't my thing, doesn't mean it won't be yours, these reviews are for advice only. 

A Chorus Line was actually the third show of the week, but I decided to just review it before the second show... Living on the edge...

A Chorus Line is at the London Palladium on Argyll Street, which is just off Oxford Street. The London Palladium is such an iconic theatre and A Chorus Line is a rather well known musical. I was very excited to go and see it. The show was first performed in 1975 on Broadway. There is a film of A Chorus Line, which is based on the play, from the 1985, however I haven't seen it so I won't be able to compare - apologies.

So...
 
What is it about?
 
Auditions are underway for a brand new musical on Broadway. It's the opportunity of a lifetime. It’s the one opportunity for the auditionees to do what they’ve always dreamed of. It's their opportunity to dance...
Under pressure from the pushy and demanding director, the hopefuls share the events that have moulded their lives and why tell us they chose to become dancers.
 
The stories featured in A Chorus Line are based on true stories. 
 
What did I think?
 
I have to be completely honest, it's not the best show I've seen. I did enjoy all of it, I thought it was very good, but I wasn't mad about it.
 
I love the concept, the idea and what it stands for. I think the idea of going behind it all, behind the costumes, the set and behind the curtains is brilliant. However, I don't think that it all translated very well.
I found parts funny, I found parts a bit thought provoking but overall, I just wasn't keen.

I think the main reason I wasn't the biggest fan of the show was that it wasn't quite what I expected.

I think that the actors all did a good job, don't get me wrong there and they were all very good singers and dancers.

I wasn't that it was too deep - I love deep, thought provoking plays. And it wasn't massively feel good either. It wasn't even particularly "in the middle". It was just kind of "there" in terms of emotion.
 
I think I just expected it to be a bit more "jazzy" and "snazzy" and just in general rather "in-your-face-non-stop-something..." - and it wasn't.

I wouldn't go back and I don't want to say anymore because I don't want this to be a negative zone because I know that some people will have loved this show. I'm sorry I'm not one of them.

What did other people think?

The person I went with said that she found it frustrating. She said that they found it frustrating because she kept waiting for it "to begin" and it never did for her, (and I have to agree).
When I asked if any of the actors stood out for her, she said that although over all, they were all very good, none of them really stood out and held their own.
 
I also did my typical eavesdrop. Some people really liked it, some people weren't too keen. Nobody said anything like, "That was brilliant!!!!", and there is almost always somebody who says that at a show - unless it's awful! So, although people enjoyed it, nobody was mad keen.
 
Would I recommend it?
 
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. However, it might be your thing, I mean, someone's got to like it, since it's been running for so long. It just isn't something I would recommend.
It might be your thing, it might not, so if you are thinking about going, I'd read some more reviews first.
 
When can you go and see it?
 
A Chorus Line is running until 31st August 2014 at The London Palladium on Argyll Street, just off Oxford Street, London. Also, a tour of the show in Europe is being planned to begin in Autumn 2014 so keep an eye out if you're interested.
 
The final notes...
 
If you choose to go, then the list below will be of assistance to you.
  • As I always instruct, dress smart casually if you can out of respect for everyone involved.
  • There is no interval in this show, so no ice-cream at the theatre so be sure to order dessert after your dinner!
  • There are binoculars by every seat, so if you don't get good seats, then no matter. 
 
I hope you've enjoyed this post guys, I'm sorry to put out a negative review, but I really just wouldn't want you to waste your money on something. If you've seen this show, then what did you think? Did you agree with me? Or not? And if you have anything else to say in the comments, then do feel free to type away!
 
I hope your day is great!
 
GingerSnaps xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment