Pages

Wednesday 14 September 2016

Recent Reads - Books - 'Funny Girl' Review.

Hi!!!

Good evening people! How are you all on this fine Wednesday? I hope your week is going well. Today I have a book review for you. I'm going to be sharing my thoughts on Nick Hornby's most recent novel, 'Funny Girl', which was first published in 2014.



'Funny Girl' follows Barbara, a young woman from Blackpool who is determined to move to London and make it big as the next Lucille Ball. She becomes Sophie Straw, under the advice of her agent, and soon lands the leading role in a BBC sitcom, that evolves to showcase her. The book follows the different relationships of the cast and crew of the sitcom and how they change and develop as time goes on.
 
I enjoyed reading 'Funny Girl'. There are some funny lines in it, the storyline is quite easy to follow and yet it is also interesting.


 Its full of details about television production and London in the 60s which was both pleasing and also somewhat unexpected. There are photographs distributed throughout the book of various things, usually specific details that the reader may be unfamiliar with, which not only helps put the images of certain people and places into your mind, but makes sure you are kept in the loop, which I appreciated.
 
One thing that did bother me slightly about the book was the way the characters were described. Particularly the female characters. They were beautiful, and there were two types of beautiful if I remember rightly - either Marilyn Monroe types or a-kind-of-but-not-quite Audrey Hepburn type, if you know what I mean? And that's fine, but it just bothered me a little bit that they weren't all a bit more different and dynamically described.

I did find that I could connect with the characters - they are well constructed and have detailed lives, so even the less than loveable ones (looking at you Clive!) are still characters you want to find out more about.

 
I'd recommend this to people who enjoy character led books, to those who are interested in the 1960s and television comedy and so on. There were some minor details that I wasn't too keen on, like the previously mentioned descriptions issue, but I was so keen to find out what happened, I made everyone stay in the holiday apartment for an hour or so longer than they had intended to give me time to finish it before we went out.

Overall, I'd give 'Funny Girl' a solid and well deserved four stars. It's entertaining and engaging and made me chuckle. Maybe check it out during your lunch break tomorrow.

That's a wrap on today's post. I sincerely hope you enjoyed reading it.
Have you read 'Funny Girl' or any other novels by Nick Hornby? Do you have any book recomendations for me? What about suggestions for future posts? Let me know in the comments.
Thank you ever so much for reading.

Have a delightful day!

Gingersnaps xxx

2 comments:

  1. i don't think i have heard of the aurther before but they seem to be pretty good, i'm glad you enjoyed the book. also i love the photographs in books idea it makes it way more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post. I love photographs in books, too, it really helps you get a feel for the story. GingerSnaps xxx

      Delete