Pages

Sunday 4 September 2016

Recent Reads - Books - 'Paper Towns' Review.

Hi!!!

Well, today's post is a first. I've never written a book review on my blog. But here I am today, writing one. I feel like such a momentous occasion should be marked by reviewing something like 'War and Peace' or 'Les Miserables' but alas, it is not and couldn't be, because I have read neither. I am instead reviewing a book I never thought I'd read - 'Paper Towns' by John Green.

So, why did I think I'd never read it? Let me explain.
I went to see the movie of 'The Fault in Our Stars' a few years ago for someone's birthday and I wasn't *quite* as amazed as everyone said I'd be.
 I came to two conclusions about John Green - I didn't like the way he named his characters (some of the names just seemed a bit pretentious) and I thought that some of the things they did were so far from what anyone would do, let alone teenagers (the cigarette metaphor, anyone?).
And, to be honest, I never thought I'd read it because it's young adult. Which I know is ridiculous of me, and snobby of me, and 'ooh I'm too cool' of me, isn't it? *hangs head in shame*.
However, I decided that this year I should actually read one of his books, rather than judge them by Hollywood or my own silly poorly founded opinions.
 
 
Paper Towns was recommended to me by my dear friend Elf Girl and as I trust her judgement in these things, I decided that it would be the one I would read.
 
The basic plot of 'Paper Towns' is as follows...
 Quentin Jacobsen (Q) has spent a lifetime loving Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. One night, she cracks open a window and climbs into his life - dressed like a ninja, summoning him to join her in a campaign of revenge - and he follows. Q arrives at school the next day to find that she has disappeared. Q soon learns that there are clues in her disappearance and that they have been left for him and he decides to follow them back to her.
 
Turns out, I actually love 'Paper Towns'. It is a great book.
The plot is really interesting and intelligent and filled with intricate details (Margo's clues for Q being the source of many). At times it is hilariously funny and I stopped to read some of the jokes again and again. And the names did bother me, but only for the first chapter or so, and yes, sometimes the dialogue was a little off base, but not by much.
 I really like the characters in 'Paper Towns', I like their friendships and their in-jokes and their craziness and their beer swords, and I like the many sides of them too. Q grows as a person in front of the readers eyes without them realising, and the lessons he learns are lessons carefully planted for the reader, too.
 
And yeah, maybe a name like Margo Roth Spiegelman is a lot to say all at once but, you know what? I've been looking at 'Paper Towns' merchandise since I finished it, and I've been talking to anyone that'll listen about it, and I think John Green is a very good author.
 
So, I like a John Green book. I love 'Paper Towns'. I'd give it a very enthusiastic and hearty four stars. And I'd recommend it to you, even if you think it won't be up your street.
 There's this part in the book where Q describes himself and his friends as "Young. Goofy. Infinite" and I love that because it fits so beautifully with their spirit, and it captures the spirit of the book as a whole.
 
Buy it here.

Thanks for reading my first ever book review. I hope you enjoyed it.
Have you read Paper Towns? Do you have any book recomendations for me? Would you like to see more book reviews? Any other comments or suggestions for future posts? Let me know in the comments. Oh and do you have any opinions on the series title or suggestions for a new one?
Speak soon, lovely people.

I hope your day is glorious!
 
GingerSnaps xxx

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you liked it and if you are ,looking for merchandise they have some pretty great quote posters on line :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did, thank you so much for suggesting it to me. And, thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to have a look at those posters. GingerSnaps xxx

      Delete