Pages

Thursday 29 December 2016

It's Showtime!!! - Theatre Review - Hamlet

Hi!!!

Just before Christmas I went into London. I had a lovely time and one of the things I did was go to the theatre. So, here's a review of the play I went to see for you to read during that little slice of time between Christmas and New Year's. Enjoy.


I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that Hamlet is one of Shakespeare's most famous and celebrated plays, about a young man struggling to avenge his dead father for fear, uncertainty and pressure. It is also, usually, one of his longest. Not in this case, however. This production has 90 minute performances with no intervals (or re-entry if you leave the theatre, just to let you know), which I found really interesting.

In the past, I have studied Hamlet, and I enjoyed reading it, however when I tried to watch certain productions, I have no shame in saying I got bored - quite unlike me. I think it is partly to do with the length of it, partly because I think you really need the right actor to play Hamlet for the play to be at its best, and partly because of the way certain productions are staged.

For all of that, I connected with the play in this performance in a way I haven't before. The way the script has been chopped and changed was so interesting and in my opinion, the most important parts were all still there, and were maximised, by the adaptations. I found it more engaging as an audience member, which is always a good thing. I would honestly love a copy of the script just to look at how it was all done in more detail.


The entire cast were excellent. Mark Arends was absolutely fantastic as Hamlet. I'd go as far as to say that he's the best Hamlet I have seen yet - and those who came to see the show with me agreed. He commits completely to the role and performs in such a way that Hamlet's ever perplexing state of mind seems to make sense. I said earlier that I think you need to have the right person playing Hamlet for it to work, and this production certainly has the right actor. Some of my other stand out performers were Finlay Cormack, who had the challenge of playing an amalgamation of Laertes, Horatio and several additional characters and rose to it with seeming ease, and Tom Mannion who gave a fantastic performance as Claudius. The whole cast work together so well that their actions seem instinctive and reactionary rather than rehearsed, which is very impressive.


The staging of this production seems so simple, but in fact it is clever. The small space of the studio, a sofa, a box of photos and a blanket or two provide a personal feel which adds to how believable the action is, and towards the end, the props are used to add to the overwhelming emotion.

If you get the chance, I would highly recommend going to see Hamlet at the Trafalgar Studios. It's simply brilliant.

I would happily give this production five stars. And now I'll stop gushing about it.

Get tickets here.

I hope you enjoyed this little theatre review.
Have you seen this production? Do you have any comments or suggestions for future posts? Leave a comment below and tell me.
Thanks for reading. Speak soon.

Have a super day!

GingerSnaps xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment