Pages

Thursday 14 December 2017

Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do - Music - All Is Calm: A Playlist.

Hi!!!

Welcome back. Today is Blogmas Day Fourteen and I have a music related post for you today and I am so excited to write and share this. As we get closer to Christmas and we become busier, I think it's important to take even a few minutes for ourselves to recharge so we can really make the most of the season. I've picked out a selection of songs with calm but also festive vibes and put them together in a short playlist for anyone looking for fifteen minutes of less full-on time.


While 'Moz The Monster' isn't my all time favourite Christmas advert, the song used for it is certainly up my street - my all time favourite band covering a lovely song by The Beatles? Yes to that.
I love Guy Garvey's voice - it has a really soft quality and also a really comforting feel (perhaps this comes from the fact that he maintains his accent and so it seems more familiar?).
There is a richness to this song musically, with it growing and unfolding to become a sweeping (but not overwhelming) piece of production. This richness echoes the festive season, in many ways, and so grounds the listener in a sense of both familiarity and of hope for the future.
The lyrics are like that of a lullaby, too, which adds to the calming sound the song has.

Another cover of a song by The Beatles that was featured in a John Lewis advert - I promise that is not the theme of this playlist.
I love Tom Odell - he's a wonderful pianist and a great singer. The orchestral instruments elevate the piece and the occasional note played on a glockenspiel adds a charming, playful quality that brings joy to it, too. The layered vocals in the last third of the song provide that soothing, festive, choral quality.
I actually prefer it to the original - don't @ me - because I think it sounds far more sincere and because I think the lyrics really get a chance to shine in this updated cover.

'Scarlet Ribbons' by Harry Belafonte.

This is an utterly wonderful song and one that gets played every Christmas in my house. The lyrics are the real highlight of this song - they create a narrative that carries the hopeful, festive spirit with ease and creates a sense of wonder for the listener. If you believe in Christmas miracles - and you should - then this will really put a smile on your face.
There are lots of recordings of this but the Harry Belafonte one is my go-to, partly because his voice reminds me of a storyteller (is this just me?) and because musically, it is very easy to listen to, but very pretty sounding and complimentary to the lyrics.
Even if things have gotten a bit stressful and none of your parcels look set to arrive before the 27th of December, this song will remind you why you love Christmas.

Thanks for reading!
Which songs are your go-to for a moment of calm at Christmas? Do you have any other comments or suggestions for future posts? Leave a comment to let me know.
See you tomorrow for Blogmas Day Fifteen!

I hope you feel happy today.

GingerSnaps xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment